Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Human Behavior, and some hippie nonsense.

People fascinate me.
I apply everything I've experienced from knowing, seeing, speaking to, and/or hearing about people to every social situation I go through. It's really quite fascinating, and has taught me a lot about how people think and why. It enables me to be braced for people's reactions to extreme events/occurrences, to give advice to others about how to act or to explain why someone may have reacted to something the way they did. I still think, sometimes, that maybe psych was the right path for me; not as a career, but as a study. I sort of mourn the loss of time now, since I plan to go down a career path completely irrelevant to my major anyway-- I may as well have done something with a bit more clout than philosophy, right?
I am still shocked by how terrible some people, are. Or by how I can misjudge them.
I've always had a pessimistic view of modern society, but a more positive one of the nature of the individual.
Over the last few months, perhaps a year or so, I've been rather surprised by just how awful some people are. And how some people who behave terribly, but are really good people, are simply ignorant and un-desiring of change.
I've been thinking about that a lot lately, and how sad it is. It's rather cheesey of me to say, but I do think everyone deserves to be happy, and I am convinced that no one can be happy while they're also being a dick. And I don't see how they can not change that if they can.
This journal is prompted by no event, really. Just some thoughts that have been floating around my brain more frequently in the last few weeks than usual. I am feeling eloquent right now, wanted to get them out.

In other news, I am surprised that so few people seem to appreciate the beauty of the world around them. They don't even seem to notice it.
I was walking down College Ave after class today. It was about 6 o'clock, and the buildings were that golden, orange-yellow color they turn when the sun sets just right. The saplings along the sidewalk have lemon yellow leaves now, and many litter the ground. People were walking, talking, and laughing. Hurrying to or from class. Goofing around. Listening to their iPods and minding themselves. A flock of tiny birds took off while I approached Brower and filled the sky with dozens of tiny black winged specks. Then they were gone.
It was gorgeous and no one seemed to notice, or even want to notice. They never do. I did, though.
I guess that's what makes it so special.

No comments: