Monday, June 2, 2008

Mislabeled

I'm no music expert. I listen to a lot of music, but I'm actually fairly ignorant of much of it. I can recognize lots of famous songs when I hear them, and I know the choruses to many, but I have trouble naming them or their artists. I honestly blame it from growing up listening to my parents play records all the time. I'd hear the same songs over and over as a child, but never who they were sung by. For example, I knew the song "Mrs. Robinson" but I had no idea who it was by until probably junior year of high school. All I knew what my parents told me not to point out that there was a song with her name in it to one of the first grade teachers in my elementary school.
But since going to college, my taste in music has expanded significantly from just listening to the Smashing Pumpkins and Bjork. I've been trying to catch up on everything; classic rock songs I never knew the name of or the artist, 1990's pop/grunge songs everyone else knew because they listened to the radio growing up while I shunned it and just played Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness or Les Miserables on repeat. That sort of thing. I missed out on a pop culture childhood because I was too busy trying to impress my older sister.
Anyway, this whole rambling entry was originally just going to be me posting this and commenting on how, while I'm not a music expert, this list is more of a "100 Greatest Hits" than "100 Greatest Rock Songs." I mean, yeah, "Hotel California" is great and all, but I don't think it ought to be placed in a list of the best 100 rock songs. It's a good song; but not one of the best. Or hell, "Stairway to Heaven" is rated number 1. Yes, it's a damn good song, but not the best rock song. Zeppelin's got other songs that are better than it; but not as famous (then again, all Zeppelin songs are pretty much greatest hits far as I'm concerned).

This entry was most likely brought to you by the letter I, for Insomnia.
...which I am fairly certain is not common for those inflicted with mono, so I am confused but also joyful, since that might mean I don't have it.

No comments: